FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, October 8, 2019
MEDIA ALERT & PHOTO OP
October 11th is International Day of the Girl
Buffalo-based Girls Education Collaborative Highlights
Five Ways To Be a Part of The Movement
Buffalo, NY – On October 11th, the world will unite in celebrating International Day of the Girl (IDG). This year’s theme is “Girlforce: Unscripted and Unstoppable.”
Millions of girls around the world are out of school, simply because they are a girl. Buffalo-based Girls Education Collaborative works with local changemakers in the global south to drive social change through the power of girls education.
GEC is encouraging the Western New York community to celebrate IDG and be a part of the movement toward global gender equality. Here are five ways to get involved:
Attend An Event
- GEC is hosting two events on October 10th to raise awareness of International Day of the Girl. Both are free & open to the public.
- “There’s Nothing A Girl Can’t Do!” from noon – 1pm on Thurs., Oct. 10th at dig at the Innovation Center (640 Ellicott Street). Don’t miss this free brown bag “lunch & learn” (with cookies & kombucha provided) to learn more about GEC’s efforts and get a tutorial on how individuals can use their voice to help drive the movement for global gender equality.
- “Smashing Gender Barriers (Over Drinks!)” happy hour at wxyz bar in the Aloft Hotel at 500 Pearl on Thurs., Oct. 10th from 5:30-8:30pm. A portion of all drinks purchased goes to GEC, which in turn helps to educate girls in rural Tanzania, so socializing can have real social impact.
Make it Facebook Official
- Add GEC’s IDG filter to your profile pictures this week on Facebook and show your friends that you believe in fighting for equality for girls around the world.
Connect with Fierce Fighters Around the World
- Use the hashtag #IDG2019 and GEC’s local hashtag #TheWholeGirl to connect with other people supporting global gender equality.
Raise Awareness for IDG and GEC
- GEC is posting videos and photos every day this week highlighting the power of girls education. Show your support online by following, reposting & tagging GEC: Facebook, Instagram & Twitter
- Stay Engaged
- Stay involved with GEC throughout the year to learn more about its efforts and how you can help. Sign up for the e-newsletter at girlsedcollaborative.org.
About Girls Education Collaborative
GEC is a Buffalo-based not-for-profit working to create a gender equal world where all girls are getting the education they seek and deserve. GEC feeds social change by equipping marginalized, at-risk girls with education, life skills, and agency to realize their fullest potential. We do this through deep partnerships with locally-driven initiatives in rural, under-served areas of the global south.