While the mission of Girls Education Collaborative is to create opportunities for girls in developing countries, our roots are firmly planted in Buffalo, and we are deeply grateful for the tremendous support we have received from the City of Good Neighbors. Forging local partnerships to make a global impact is key to the work of nonprofits like ours, and it seems (anecdotally speaking, at least) that Buffalo’s much-heralded resurgence may have brought with it a reinvigoration of the city’s global mindedness and an expansion of its definition of community to include the less fortunate in far-flung areas of the world. Increasingly, we at GEC field questions from locals about what they can do to help girls in villages like Kitenga, whose often dire circumstances prevent them from fulfilling their potential and exercising their full agency.
Case in point: Zandra Cunningham, founder and creator of Buffalo-based natural bath and body line Zandra Beauty. At just 14 years old, Zandra is already an entrepreneurial force to be reckoned with. So when she approached GEC with an offer to help support our work in Tanzania, we emphatically accepted!
We are incredibly excited to report that Zandra Beauty will donate 10% of its sales profit from its Lemon Tea Tree line of products to support GEC (i.e., global girls education). Like GEC, the team at Zandra Beauty has a passion for helping girls in underprivileged communities around the world access a quality and relevant education. Education has been key to Zandra’s success, and she wants to help ensure other girls have the same opportunity.
The products benefiting GEC include:
- Artisan soap bars made from organic extra olive oil, coconut oil, cocoa butter, and fair-trade shea butter
- 3-in-1 soap for hair, face, and body with detoxifying bamboo charcoal
- Portable stick balms that protect more than just lips—use them on cuticles, elbows, or anywhere you have dry skin!
- Gentle vegan body wash that’s free of harsh foaming agents
- Body scrub made with organic cane sugar
- 2-in-1 nourishing hair and body soufflé
- Hand and body lotion formulated to absorb well into the skin for a non-greasy finish
Remember to choose the Lemon Tea Tree versions of these products if you want your purchase to support GEC. Not that the other scents aren’t also fabulous, but I can personally attest to how amazing the Lemon Tea Tree smells—citrusy with subtle herbaceous qualities that lend a certain sophistication. It’s bright and fresh without being fruity or saccharine, making it appropriate for the young and the young at heart!
Zandra Beauty products can be purchased online or, if you’re in the Buffalo area, at one of the following locations:
- Buffalo Niagara Airport Visit Buffalo Niagara Store
- The Visit Buffalo Niagara Center located inside the Brisbane Building 403 Main Street
- HighKlass Hair Boutique located at 68 Allen Street
- Renew Bath and Body located at 927 Elmwood Avenue
- Buffalo Adore located at 391 Abbott Road
- Elim Christian Fellowship located at 70 Chalmers Avenue
It’s hard to imagine given the recent heat wave, but the gift-giving season is fast approaching, and it’s never too early to start planning. I imagine any one of the lemon tea tree products would make an excellent stocking stuffer, and they are perfect to have on hand for the inevitable office gift exchange. Or just grab a couple items for yourself, because you too deserve a little pampering! Just remember, no matter the end user, you can feel good that your purchase is helping to make a very real difference in a young girl’s life.